Sunday, July 6, 2014

Week 1 June 30th- July 6th



Monday June 30th: I actually slept through the whole night; although I did wake up at 4:45am to go to a fitness class at the university gym. The class was super sweat; basically just a mixture of different squats lunges, arms, and abs. It was pretty intense! After that I went back to the dorms and got ready for the day and checked my email. I had gotten an email from Tanya, which was great because now I could get my class schedule since today was the first day of classes. Well I took off to her office and found it after frantically walking forever around campus. She gave me my timetable for my classes and sure enough I had accounting theory at 8am to 10am, so I missed that class by an hour. Tanya said I still should pop in even if I showed up an hour late. So I sped walked to that class and walked in and there were only four kids there and the professor. The professor was kind and welcomed me to the class. He then proceeded on his lecture which was definitely different than our lectures. He actually sat down and talked with the students as he lectured, but even though it was different it was still really boring and I about fell asleep. After class I met with Tori, the international student advisor. She helped me set some things up on myCQU portal account and just informed me about things on there and about the campus which helped a lot, considering I have been in the dark for most of the weekend. After that I went to my room and set my portal up and got things ready for my classes. Then I went to another fitness class called box fit. It was a sweet boxing class. The class did a lot of different punches with a mix of running, push-ups, lunges, squats, and planks in between.  After that I went to my room to keep messing around with my classes and some other things I needed to get ready for the next day.
Tuesday July 1st: Man where did June go! I can’t believe its July already. Today I got to experience bus travel. The bus driver was very nice and only charged me half price of the normal price and talked to me the whole ride; asking about South Dakota and the pheasant farm.  I then got off at Stockland where their mall is. Their mall is definitely different than ours. Not only do they have different clothing stores, a food court, and vendors in the middle, but also grocery stores, department stores, insurance agencies, fitness gym, and little coffee shops in it. So they basically have everything you need to shop for in one place, so it’s kind of nice. When I got back to the University I went to the book shop to buy my books, which was an awful bill to pay. Then I went back to my dorm and wrote out my class assignments for the semester. Then I studied accounting theory until 4pm when I went to Yogalates at the gym. I actually knew some girls at this class, because they were international students from the US. The class went well; it was a typical yoga class. Afterwards, we girls went to eat at the cafeteria and sat with Jazmin and Carolina. We sat there for two hours just talking and laughing, we had a good time. We then walked back to our dorms. When I got back I read my bible and then worked on some more homework for the night.
Wednesday July 2nd:  I got up at 7am and put some laundry in the wash. Then headed to breakfast, which was very good. I then read my assignments and sent some emails for the whole morning. Around 1pm we played a game of beach volleyball outside the dorm rooms. The game lasted for about two hours and then we headed over to the pool to cool off. At 5:30pm I went to Boot Camp fitness class. This class was intense! We started by doing a warm up lap around their grass track. Then we had three circuits of lunges, squats, push-ups, mountain climbers, sprints, and lemon squeezes with sets of 25, 3o, and 35. Most people didn’t get through the third circuit because of time. Then we moved onto another circuit with a partner. One partner had to run hill runs while the other one pushed a tire to a cone then carried it to the next one, then flipped it to the next cone, then carried it to the next and then we would switch and we had to do that for 12 hill runs. To end the Boot Camp we had to do 25 burpees and stretch. That was a killer! After that I took a long hot shower and hung out in my room for the night. We also had a hall meeting at 8:30pm which was nothing special, just a typical hall meeting going over rules.
Thursday July 3rd: I woke up at 7:30am and went to breakfast and then came back and worked on some homework and sent some emails. I also browsed on the internet to look at some vacation spots to possibly go to while I am here. Today for my workout I went to the pool. I swam laps and aqua jogged. Afterwards I did an ab workout. Then for a long time I texted my friend Lexie from back home. I then got ready for my class at 5pm. Corporate Accounting is the class I had in a huge classroom with only 8 other students. The Australian rules of accounting are a little different than American. They do not like the American way of doing things, they call us difficult and that we like doing things our own ways. After class I met up with the other international students and we just talked and hung out. We ended up finding a TV, but the only thing on was the documentary of Whitney Houston’s death.  Found out that Whitney Houston’s middle name is Elizabeth too. Crazy! So that’s what we watched and went to bed after.
Friday July 4th: Happy Fourth of July everyone. I started my day off by getting up at 5am to go to box fit. We stayed inside this morning; it wasn’t too bad of a workout. Afterwards I went back and showered and got ready for the day and then read my bible and texted the family. Then I went to breakfast and sat with the other students and talked about the day. Afterwards Ryan and I walked to our ethics class from 1pm to 4pm. It was super long and kind of boring; I about fell asleep. My business classes’ sure like to pick on the U.S. way of doing business. Ha. After class we went back to the dorms and then some of the other girls invited me to do box fit with them at 5:30pm. So I said why not, I like that class anyways! So we went to that. This time we were outside and it was much harder. Lot more punches and a lot more running. So it was fun! The trainer was super nice; she was wearing an LSU sweatshirt because that’s where her brother plays football. That was awesome! Next we went and ate and talked about the night. Everyone was super excited for gender bender night at the JCR from 7-10pm. So we rushed through eating and quickly went to get ready. Everyone looked pretty silly but dressed pretty legit! The girls dressed as guys and the guys dressed as girls. It was pretty comical!
Saturday, July 5th: I woke up around 7am and texted the family and snap chatted friends before getting up and doing an ab workout. Then I headed to breakfast to meet up with all the other kids to see what they were thinking of doing for the day. We ended up leaving around 10am to go to the beach. When the bus dropped us off we first went and ate at a little café called Yogalicious café. It was super good. I got a coconut banana smoothie! Then we took off to the beach. It was super cool to be at the ocean for the first time in my life. The sand was super soft even though they call it the hard sand beach. Not very many people like this beach but it was still awesome. The water was super cold, it felt like an ice bath to me, but it was fun to swim and jump over the waves. We were at the beach for about 2 hours, but our towels got soaked by the tide and some of them wanted ice cream. So we packed up our things and changed into dry clothes to head up town. Some people got ice cream and we walked around to check out the small shops around town. We got back to the university around 3:45pm and it was super nice out. So I took off for a run around campus. I found some pretty sweet trails to run on! I then showered up and headed to supper to sit and talk with the rest of the group to plan out our night. When we got back to our dorms Jazmin and I talked for about an hour and a half which was fun. She is so nice! We then ended up going to the JCR. It was a lot of fun. We played ping pong, the card game idiot, and pool.
Sunday July 6th:  I slept in until 7:50am this morning. I would have slept longer but my neighbor’s phone was going off very loudly and woke me up. So I just went to breakfast to meet up and hang out with the other students. Afterwards, I went back to my room to do homework and laundry until dinner. After dinner I took a Sunday nap, but it only lasted 20min and I couldn’t fall back asleep. So I went online to look at attractions in Australia to visit. Then some of the kids came and invited me to play beach volleyball. We played volleyball until supper. After supper I showered up and got ready for church. We went to a Baptist church at 6:30pm. It was good, they sang praise and worship songs. Then they had their missions team talk about their trip they just got back from. So there was no powerful sermon like Jon would give but it was still a good time. We got back to our dorms around 8:30. I then did some things on my computer and around my room and then went to bed.
                                                       The Northern Kids at gender bender night.
Some of the group at gender bender night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment